Are you craving some grilled steak for dinner? If so, check out this guide to learn about 7 mouthwatering grilled steak recipes.
Grilling season has finally arrived. And oh boy, Americans love to grill. In fact, in 2016, around $1.47 billion was spent on barbeques and grills in the United States.
The summer only lasts for a few short months so you need to make the most of it while you can. So if you are looking to make the most of your grill and try something absolutely delicious, then you are in luck.
Continue reading and we will walk you through some of the tastiest grilled steak recipes around.
Table of Contents
Perfectly Grilled Steak
One of the simplest and most basic grilled steak recipes, the only ingredient you really need for this is the steak itself. Well, that and a reliable grill.
- 4 1-1/2-inch-thick boneless New York strip steaks or boneless rib-eyes, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil or canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Remove the steaks from the refrigerator and let them sit for about 20 minutes before you start grilling.
- Heat the grill to high. Also brush the steaks on both sides with the oil and generously season with salt and pepper.
- Put the steaks on the grill and cook them until they become golden brown and slightly charred. That should be about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Turn over the steaks and continue grilling them. Grill for 3 to 5 minutes for medium-rare (internal temp of 135 degrees F), 5 to 7 min for medium (140 degrees F), 8 to 10 min for medium-well (150 degrees F).
- Move the steaks to a platter or cutting board. Tent them loosely with foil and let them rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
For those chefs looking for a more flavorful and delicious dish, this may be a perfect match. The procedure is simple but the flavors are complex. And remember to have the right tools on hand for more precise cooking.
- 7 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 2lb tri-tip steak
- Place the garlic, soy sauce, extra virgin olive oil, vinegar, onion, mustard, rosemary, salt, and pepper into the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Put the steak in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour the marinade over the steak, seal, and refrigerate for 3 hours or so.
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Brush the grill grate with oil.
- Discard marinade, and put the steak on the prepared grill.
- Cook for 7 minutes on each side.
Finally it’s also a good idea to refrigerate your steak for two hours after cooking for the freshest shelf-life.
Garlic Grilled Steaks
Eating garlic comes with a plethora of health benefits. These benefits include boosting the immune system, reducing blood pressure, and possibly even preventing dementia. This next recipe is full of delicious garlic flavor.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 10 cloves of garlic
- 4 boneless ribeye steaks or beef strip steaks (8 ounces each and 1-inch thick)
- Using a mortar and pestle, crush the garlic cloves with the salt and pepper. Stir in the lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and oil.
- Grill the steaks, covered, over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until the meat reaches your desired doneness.
- Brush liberally with the garlic mixture during the last four minutes of cooking.
Open-Face Steak Sandwich
Everybody loves a good steak sandwich. If you are looking to avoid the carbs however, then you can remove the bread and enjoy a hearty steak salad!
- 1-1/2 lbs flank steak
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup whole grain mustard
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for the bread
- 1 ciabatta loaf, cut in half lengthwise
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thinly
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1-1/2 oz Parmesan, grated finely
- 6 cups mature arugula leaves with tender stems
- Heat a large, dry cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Using a sharp knife, gently score the steak on both sides in a crosshatch pattern.
- Season the steak liberally with salt and pepper, then rub it all over with the vegetable oil/
- Cook the steak, turn it once or twice so that it browns evenly, until lightly charred and medium-rare.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let it rest for 15 minutes or longer.
- Place the onion in a small bowl and cover it with cold water. Set it aside.
- Blend the lemon juice and whole grain mustard in a blender. With the motor still running, stream in 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil. Then gradually add the Parmesan cheese. Stream in 1 tablespoon of cold water and blend until the dressing is thick and smooth. Season it with salt and pepper.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat.
- Drizzle the cuts sides of the ciabatta bread with extra virgin olive oil. Working with only one half at a time, cook it with the cut side down, until it is crisp and golden brown. This should take about 5 minutes each.
- Place the bread, cut side up, on a platter. Drizzle with 1/3 of the dressing.
- Top with arugula.
- Drain the reserved onion and scatter it over the arugula. Season with salt and pepper and then drizzle with half of the dressing that is left.
- Slice the steak thinly and place it over the dressed arugula. Drizzle with the remaining dressing and then season with more salt.
- Cut the sandwich into pieces crosswise.
Coconut-Marinated Short Rib Kebabs
Most people like to braise their short ribs but they can be exceptionally delicious when you grill them instead. They become extremely beefy which goes well with the crispy pieces.
Ingredients for Peanut Chili Oil
- 1 large chopped shallot
- 1 1-inch chopped and peeled piece of ginger
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons of fish sauce
- 1 lemongrass stalk
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 ancho chiles or 4 New Mexico or guajillo chiles, flesh torn and seeds removed
- 1/4 cup of roasted peanuts, salted and crushed
Ingredients for Short Ribs
- 1-1/4lbs boneless beef short ribs
- 2 finely grated cloves of garlic
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons of light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- Kosher salt
- 1 lemongrass stalk
- 1 2-inch peeled and finely grated piece of ginger
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 2 tablespoon of fresh lime juice
- vegetable oil
Directions for Peanut Chili Oil
- Remove the tough outer layers from the lemongrass stalk. Trim off the top-third of the stalk and discard. Bruise the rest of the stalk by hitting it a few times against a cutting board.
- Move the lemongrass to a small saucepan. Add the garlic, oil, salt, shallot, and ginger. Bring it to a light simmer over medium heat. Cook.
- Cook until the shallot is soft and just starting to become golden around the edges, about 15 minutes. Reduce the heat when necessary to keep a low boil.
- Remove from the heat and add red pepper flakes and chiles. Push down with a spoon and stir occasionally until the chiles slightly soften. Puree the chiles in a blender until they are broken down into small flecks. Make sure not to overprocess. Move them to a small bowl and stir in the fish sauce and peanuts.
You can make this peanut sauce one week before cooking the steak. Cover and chill it and then bring it to room temperature before using it.
Directions for Short Ribs
- Freeze the ribs until the edges start to become firm, around 25 minutes. This will make them easier to slice.
- Get rid of the outer layers of the lemongrass stalk. Grate the bottom third of the stalk finely. Throw away the remainder or freeze them to use another time.
- Combine the garlic, coconut milk, brown sugar, turmeric, lemongrass, ginger, fish sauce, and lime juice in a large, resealable plastic bag.
- Lengthwise, slice the short ribs against the grain into 1/4-inch-thick strips and add those to the bag. Seal the bag, making sure to press out all of the air, and chill for no less than 2 hours and no longer than 2 days.
- Oil the grates of your grill and prepare for medium-high heat. Take the beef from the marinade and let the excess marinade drip off.
- Thread the beef onto 7 skewers and fold it back and forth accordion style. Season them lightly with salt.
- Grill the skewers, turning them once, until browned and just cooked through. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Serve the beef with the peanut chile oil.
The Right Grilled Steak Recipes for You
These grilled steak recipes are all delicious yet varied enough where they can appeal to beginner backyard cooks as well as professional chefs. And feel free to try them all out and add your own personal touches along the way.
Remember, grilling can be as much of an art as a science.
With some practice, you may even take your talents to a local BBQ festival.